written by H

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Hiking Trip or Lesson in Navigation

H here again! I just returned from a trip I took to go hiking at Harpers Ferry, West Virginia. After driving around for some time we finally  figured out where the road to the hiking trail is, a tip for anyone who wishes to hike here: go to the visitors center first because the staff there know how to get to the various trails that you can hike on.

When we finally got there, we found the trail very pleasant and not too steep, although if you wish to venture off the trail then be careful of the many leaves on the ground which make it difficult to find solid footing. Along the way up the trail we found several interesting rock formations, one a large boulder with a small hole/cave in it.  It caught my attention especially; I could imagine soldiers in the Civil War hiding there; you never know there was a major battle in that area after all.

We also found an area right off the trail, which I would tentatively define as having fortification; it had rocks which were stacked up into a low wall.  Nearby was a crumbling brick wall; close by was another brick wall which was still intact.  

After that little diversion, went further off the trail and walked through the woods to a large bolder where I stood, and took some pictures of the town across the river.  It was an awesome view, multi colored leaves littered the ground and snowflakes drifted lazily through the air.

When we were done with taking pictures and we had finished drinking in the view; the sun was going down so we slid and climbed down a nearby gully almost all the way to the parking lot (note: doing so is dangerous and I do not recommend doing it yourself unless you like danger). View the pictures which I will be posting on the blog to see the pictures of this view and some of the rock formations as well as the scenery we passed while driving to the trail. 

Look for a picture of my dog Sam, he loves being outside doing anything.  In case you’re wondering, he is a seven years old, field breed Springer Spaniel.  I got him when we lived out west in CO.  

-H-

4 comments:

  1. Nice Pictures. I like your dog.

    G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I enjoyed taking the pics. The hike was really a lot of fun, and Sam was having the time of his life. Do you like dogs? Do you have one of your own?

    -H-

    ReplyDelete
  3. H- A hike and history and a happy dog. Sounds like a great day!

    I have moved around a lot too and now live on the west coast. A few months ago I was visiting my home state of PA. The ground was full of fallen leaves. I loved swishing through them, listening to their dry whispers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi H

    I do like dogs. I have had a couple dogs - i like the way the tilt their head and look at you when you talk. That is what it looks like you dog was doing.

    ReplyDelete